Is very gentle and is often used to promote relaxation, improve blood flow, and relieve muscle tension. The therapist uses long, gliding strokes and kneading and tapping techniques on the top layer of muscles in the direction of the blood flow to the heart. This may also include moving the joints gently to improve range of motion. This style combines various movements to enhance lymphatic drainage and is very relaxing and therapeutic.
Swedish massage benefits the body because of the specific techniques it involves. The movements and firm pressure involved in Swedish massage affect all systems in the body, including soft tissues such as muscles and ligaments and also nerves and even glands. You aren’t just getting a great muscle rub when you go for a Swedish massage. Pressure is applied to your muscles with movements that are in tune with the natural flow of blood back to your heart.
Specific ways Swedish massage can help your body heal itself are:
- Improving Lymph flow – our body’s lymph system is responsible for moving fluids that contain nutrients and wastes throughout your body. Swedish massage promotes healthy functioning of your lymph system by directly moving the lymph capillaries that lie at the level of skin.
- Helping your body’s lymph system flush metabolic wastes such as lactic acid and uric acid from your muscles. This shortens recovery time and h elps you feel better faster.
- As therapy for those suffering from osteoarthritis and other painful joint conditions. It helps increase flexibility, enhances tissue elasticity and reduces pain.
- Using strokes that move towards the heart. This improves blood circualtion without over taxing the capacity of the heart itself. Improved blood flow brings much needed oxygen to all parts of the body. Areas with restricted blood flow and lack of oxygen become toxic and are the root of chronic pain.
- Relieving anxiety and is often used to help alleviate the symptoms of depression.
- Promoting healthy sleep, which is one more way it helps the body heal itself. Whether insomnia or poor sleep is related to depression, anxiety, the onset of aging, or illness, Swedish massage can promote better sleep. This in turn can support the healthy function of the immune system, relieve anxiety and depression, and support energy levels.