What Is The Lymphatic System
What is the lymphatic system?
The lymphatic system is composed of lymph vessels, lymph nodes, and organs. Lymph is basically the fluid and protein that has been squeezed out of the blood. Lymph nodes remove microorganism and other foreign substances. They act as a filtration system that keeps particulate matter, such as bacteria, from entering the bloodstream.
The lymphatic system has a vital role in the body by regulating the immune system, which protects the body against infection. It transports nutrients to cells and eliminates metabolic wastes, toxins and excess fluids from the body.
Lymph Drainage Therapy is not limited to cancer patients or post surgical patients, it can be used for a variety of reasons. People suffering from MS or Fibromyalgia or any chronic disease has a compromised immune function. LDT assists the body in improving the immune system and relieves multiple symptoms of pain and fatigue. Really just about any chronic pain that occurs can be linked back to congestion of the lymph in a particular area. LDT is a simple, noninvasive answer to many aches and pains and just getting you to feel better.
The main functions of the lymphatic system are:
- to collect and return interstitial fluid ( the stuff the blood does not use), including plasma protein to the blood, and thus help maintain fluid balance, (edema, swelling, toxic waste)
- to defend the body against disease by producing lymphocytes( the things that break down the toxins)
- to absorb lipids (fats, oils, cholesterol) from the intestine and transport them to the blood.
What causes lymph flow to become stagnate?
- Fatigue and illness
- Emotional shock (loss of a loved one, accident, divorce, etc.)
- Lack of physical activity (sitting a desk all day, no exercise, sitting in traffic)
- Certain food additives, (partially hydrogenate oils, preservatives, chemicals, dyes, high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, etc)
- Swelling (injury, retaining fluids, surgery, etc.)
- Age ( inability to move around, slowing blood circulation, impaired immune)
- Poorly fitted bras or bras worn for an extended period of time. (presses on tissue which stops lymph flow)
- If the lymphatic circulation slows down, the supplying and regeneration of cells is poorly carried out. Consequently, toxins accumulate, increasing the aging process and opening the gates to various physical problems.